Her Mother’s Secret
A sweeping story of love and ambition moving from England to Manhattan, and the 1920s to the 1940s, by the author of THE PARIS SEAMSTRESS
‘Lester’s engaging writing style and ability to create characters that connect with readers make her a welcome addition to the historical fiction market.’
1918, England. Armistice Day should bring peace into Leonora’s life. Rather than secretly making cosmetics in her father’s chemist shop to sell to army nurses such as Joan, her adventurous Australian friend, Leo hopes to now display her wares openly. Instead, Spanish flu arrives in the village, claiming her father’s life.
Determined to start over, she boards a ship to New York City. On the way she meets debonair department store heir Everett Forsyth . . . In Manhattan, Leo works hard to make her cosmetics dream come true, but she’s a woman alone with a small salary and a society that deems make-up scandalous.
1939, New York City. Everett’s daughter, Alice, a promising ballerina, receives a mysterious letter inviting her to star in a series of advertisements for a cosmetics line. If she accepts she will be immortalized like dancers such as Zelda Fitzgerald, Josephine Baker and Ginger Rogers. Why, then, are her parents so quick to forbid it?
- ‘[Lester’s] engaging writing style and ability to create characters that connect with readers make her a welcome addition to the historical fiction market.’ Herald Sun
- ‘If you enjoy historical fiction (and even if you don’t) you will love this book’ SALLY HEPWORTH
- ‘Had me at page one. This book should come with a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign’ VANESSA CARNEVALE
- ‘Lester’s storytelling is truly captivating; her voice an essential addition to Australian fiction’ AUSROM TODAY
- ‘the vivid detail of the narrative has the ring of authenticity and is utterly compelling‘ Good Reading
- ‘A delightful and multi-faceted romp through the jazz era … Her Mother’s Secret is a sweeping historical saga about an inspiring woman tackling society’s expectations head on, war paint and all’ NATALIE SALVO
- ‘Hot on the heels of her well-deserved success with A Kiss from Mr. Fitzgerald, [Lester] again offers readers a strong-willed, determined heroine whose journey is as interesting, as it is inspiring’ JODI GIBSON
Buy the book
Select your region below
Australia & New Zealand
United Kingdom (UK)
United States (US)
Her Mother’s Secret is available now in ebook and audiobook in the US.