The French Photographer
USA: The Paris Orphan (Sept 2019)
One lost little girl. One American soldier. And the woman who braves a war to save them both.
North American Cover
Manhattan, Paris, 1942: When Jessica May’s successful modelling career is abruptly cut short, she is assigned to the war in Europe as a photojournalist for Vogue. But when she arrives the army men make her life as difficult as possible. Three friendships change that: journalist Martha Gellhorn encourages Jess to bend the rules, paratrooper Dan Hallworth takes her to places to shoot pictures and write stories that matter, and a little girl, Victorine, who has grown up in a field hospital, shows her love. But success comes at a price.
France, 2005: Australian curator D’Arcy Hallworth arrives at a beautiful chateau to manage a famous collection of photographs. What begins as just another job becomes far more disquieting as D’Arcy uncovers the true identity of the mysterious photographer — and realises that she is connected to D’Arcy’s own mother, Victorine.
Crossing a war-torn Europe from Italy to France, The French Photographer is a story of courage, family and forgiveness, by the bestselling author of The Paris Seamstress and A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald.
Please Note: The book is called The French Photographer in Australia/NZ/UK (out March 26) and The Paris Orphan in the USA/Canada (out Sept 17).
- ‘This is a splendid, breathtaking novel, full of mystery and passion. I didn’t want to put it down, and when it finished, I wanted to start reading all over again. Natasha Lester has woven together the lives of two intriguing women from different eras who find they have much more in common than their bravery and talent. Skillfully told, this passionate tale reveals the best and worst of men, and women, dealing with the brutality of war, and one of the darker secrets of World War II. A must read!”—Jeanne Mackin, author of The Last Collection
- Lester deftly darts from Paris in 1941 to New York’ The Australian Women’s Weekly on The Paris Seamstress
- ‘A fantastically engrossing story. I loved it’ KELLY RIMMER, USA Today bestselling author on The Paris Seamstress
- ‘Combine family secrets, World War II, tragedy and heartbreak and you have the compelling ingredients of this month’s book buyer’s pick.’—Costco Connection, Pennie’s Pick December 2018 on The Paris Seamstress
- ‘This rich, memorable novel unfolds beautifully from start to finish.’ Publishers Weekly, Starred Review for The Paris Seamstress
- ‘Fascinating and impeccably researched. Gill Paul, author of The Secret Wife on The Paris Seamstress
- ‘Gorgeously rich and romantic.’ Kate Forsyth, author of Bitter Greens on The Paris Seamstress
- ‘If you’re looking for a swoon-worthy romance, then The Paris Seamstress is for you. Natasha Lester’s novel features not one but two love stories, spanning continents and centuries. … Fans of historical romance will eat this one up.’ Refinery29 on The Paris Seamstress
Buy or Preorder the Book
Select your region below
Australia & New Zealand
You can use the following links to preorder your copy of The French Photographer to be sure you receive it when it is published on 26 March, 2019: